Saturday, October 27, 2012

Two Poems, by Deanalís Resto


A Lesson in Praise

Where were you when you discovered applause?
on a stage?
on a field or court?
behind a microphone?
Were you crossing the finish line?
Were you singing? dancing?
Were you taking a bow?
Were you wearing a graduation cap?
or a uniform?
a costume?
Were you alone?
or with a company of players?
Had you just done something heroic?
something courageous?
something dangerous?
something terrifying?
Was it your first risk or your third?
Do you think you deserved it?
Where was I when I discovered applause?
My kitchen.
My mother.
My second Christmas.
Or maybe it was my third.
Feliz Navidad.



Communicator's Lament

Once upon a time idle thumbs would twiddle
Nowadays they fiddle with cell phones, they diddle
How many apps?
How many games?
How many times a day
can I update my Facebook status?
Tweet my life away?
How many texts can I send
from AM till the PM?
I can annoy some people
ignore some people
and never leave my couch again!
How many things will I miss
fail to hear, fail to see?
Because I've let something so tiny
become the boss of me.