Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Moment You Came Home, by Maude Rith


It was a shock
Turning the key in the door
To find silence and the cat
Still, blinking, turning my way                              
No you, no dog wiggling, wagging
Eager, “My turn now.
Take me out.”
The quiet, the tension and release                         
The silence a reproach
My conscience saying “This                                   
Is what you have done,” then
I remember today
You have your meetings and the dog
Went too, greeting others then                 
Sleeping on your lap.
This is what it’s like when I’m
Gone and you’re home                 
The quiet, the thought                  
One of us has to go first
And if it’s you
Homecomings will be silent
Shadows bob on the far wall
I stand in the kitchen and wait
We hear the smooth roll of tires slowing
Gate latch, knob turning
The dog wriggles through first
Yelping, ecstatic, breakdancing
Crouching and pouncing on the cat brick                         
You set down packages and pocket keys
Place bottles, bag, gloves, unzip
Let me just take care of these things
Let me just unpack this bag
Let me just put away this leash
And I’ll hear about your day
The activity I’d expected, overwhelms
The company I’d craved, is too much
A glance, a peck, a coat removed
Restoration.