Sunday, March 2, 2014

I'm Going to be the Type of Woman Who, by Peggy Stevens


I'm going to be the type of woman who:

Has thin arms and legs but a very round middle

Sits naked on a couch staring into the fire

Dresses in sequins, beads, scarves and head dresses

Shows my stockinged knees with a salacious grin while giving an "ok" sign

Stares hard into the camera with an intense look on my face

Refuses to be happy when I feel sad regardless of the artist's plea

Sings opera at the top of my lungs while propping up a coffin

Stops to smell the roses in a Siena garden

Has my photo taken in a long dress with a rifle in one hand and a fishing basket at my feet

Looks ridiculous on purpose because I feel like it

Holds my hands tragically aloft, pulls my mouth into a frown and furrows my brow

Stands in front of elephants who regard my hat with distain

Wears feathered hats with wide brims that make me look 
distinguished

Does tai chi in the snow

Plays cards with questionable men

Has pals that carry umbrellas and rucksacks

Peeks into windows of deserted houses

Sneezes with gusto then curses loudly

Dresses like a cat on Halloween

Climbs trees to see better the view

Does a high kick in a dress just because I can

Accosts my neighbors to offer unsolicited advice

Lounges deeply in Victorian rooms 

Laughs loudly during sad movies

Refuses to color coordinate

Chooses inappropriately and inconsistently

Wears brooches in weird places on t-shirts

Paints my toenails in bed while drinking coffee and reading a magazine

Drinks gin and tonic with kumquats and whole cloves

Talks and laughs too loudly, unapologetically 

Draws inspiration from bathrooms

Lays in the bathtub and pats my dog

Smokes cigarettes and drinks from teacups

Dyes my hair a horrible shade of red 

Gives money to strangers but not to my family

Breaks hearts and doesn't care

Lies when I should tell the truth and tells the truth when I should lie

Makes friends with dangerous people

Refuses to do the right thing, while insisting that others do

Confuses the subject and muddies the waters

Thinks too much

Likes Patti Smith

Wears cats on my head

Explains without apology

Swims like a mermaid

Kisses like the French while in France

Shares too much

Makes do with my lot

Prays to all false gods 

Snoops in ex-lovers' drawers

Refuses to own a toaster

Looks for signs of portent and omen

Enjoys hot flashes in cold weather

Has an alternate reality



Note: Inspiration for this list came from many sources — the author's imagination; a variety of visual images (mostly photographs); her sister-writers in the Saturday morning writing Circle.