Friday, August 24, 2012

What I Did Today, by Courtney Schroeder


Today I did what is conventionally called
nothing. I walked down the road, picking wild

blackberries with my mouth for a bowl. When I'd had
my fill, I came home, stripped off my clothes,

and lay in the sunshine. Doing nothing set 
an example for the children and they were off

all day, in the hammock and their rooms, and I could
hear their pleasant murmurings while I tried to do

something, anything, but instead I got a sunburn.
We have lived here just over a month and every day

I wake shocked to be living in a dream. It is
cool in the mornings and I pull a sweater over me,

make porridge, lick syrup from the spoon.  
By afternoon, we can walk to the river

if we want, or drive down our mountain into
the ocean, or almost; from here we can do

anything we want. When we run out of money
pretty soon, I'll have to do what people call

something, which usually means get a job
I don't like but I won't have to do that

because I"ll like it, because I'll be full
of blackberries and sunshine by then. The girls

will be in school and, by some tangled
grace, I'll have time to write poems

in the mornings by the kitchen window, 
with my tea.  Frankly, my life is a poem

today, all the time, because that's what 
doing nothing means--it means filling

your mouth with sweetness until there is
no way to get the words out.  The poem is 

the thing that happens just before or just after
the writing--it is loneliness and happiness at once

which is what I've been waiting for all my
life so now, when the dark rustles in, and the girls

finally admit sleep,  I refuse to do anything
except welcome loneliness--and why not? 

I scrape supper scraps into the compost, rinse
dishes, sponge the table off. There is no other

poem, no other life than this, and after all, 
I could kiss loneliness and if you were here 

or close by--but nobody is--you would hear 
loneliness and I laughing and clapping 

one another on the back for another
job well done, and you might not believe it

but it would be true.