Thursday, September 14, 2017

I Remember . . . by Sue Norvell




The very first thing I can remember is seeing a cardinal sitting on a snowy evergreen branch when I looked out our front living room window. I was between 2 and 3 years old.

I remember the new powder-blue wool coat with the dark blue velveteen collar, bought at Mrs. Peter's shop, and worn for the first time on Easter morning.

I remember loving the Good Humor toasted almond bars best of all.

I remember reading all the Oz books, then all the Nancy Drews.

I remember when I started to wear glasses in fifth grade, and could suddenly see the board in school. Even better, I found that I didn't get carsick any more.

I remember our class assembling boxes of school supplies to be sent to children in Europe after WWII, and receiving carefully written thank you notes in French, or Polish. I remember being fascinated by their different handwriting. All I had ever seen was the Palmer Method.

I remember the struggle each morning when Mom braided my hair before school. I don't know which of us hated it more, me or Mom. Finally, when I was about eight, Dad had had enough, and he marched me off to his barber's shop. "Choppin' Charlie" cut my hair in a most unflattering style for me — a page boy. And I never went back to braids. I don't know who was more relieved: Mom, me, or Dad.

I remember my Lone Ranger secret decoder ring. I mailed off 3 Cheerios box tops and a quarter. The ring arrived, got lost, then found, then lost again. I still think I'll find it when I'm sorting through old bits and bobs.


Editor's Note: Ten years ago I compiled memory lists from dozens of people and published them in pamphlets, calling the whole thing The Memory Project. In the Writing Circle on Tuesday morning,  as Sue looked through one of those pamphlets, she found her own early memories popping up in response. What are YOUR earliest memories? Suggestion: Write them down! Make your own list. Share it with people (or don't).