Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Real Estate, by Summer Killian


I wonder will the realtor tell another couple not to worry

this is your first house, as if it is a cup of coffee, last night's homework, or

a pair of pants you'd wear as you knelt in the muddy garden, 

dutifully replaced, easily forgotten.

I wonder will the new owners wish its walls back to white, like when we first came here.

I wonder will they re-do the attic, create a third level, 

fourth if you count what's below ground. 

I wonder will they gather round a table, twist the caps off wine, 

drink to thanks and giving, drink to hope.

I wonder will they hear it echo too big, too empty

or will the floors & the steps & the thresholds finally beneath the weight of little feet sigh,

as we inhale & exhale & clasp each other's hands

as we walk away, as we go back the way we came.