Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Why Can’t I Sleep? by Deirdre Silverman


It’s too hot. It’s too cold

Old houses creak in the night

I have a deadline/time pressure/my mind is racing/ too many details

The wind is howling/ the coyotes are howling/the birds are singing at first light

Mark is taking up too much space, he’s crowding me

Mark is too far away, I can’t feel his warmth

Mark is snoring

Wait! Is Mark still breathing?

I have to pee and it’s too cold to get out of bed

We just made love/We didn’t make love

Mice running in the attic/mice running in the walls

The movie was too scary/depressing/funny

The concert was too energizing

That dessert/chocolate/late cup of tea

My nose is stuffed/my throat is dry/my foot cramped up/ my hip hurts/etc.

The moon is too bright/the snow is too bright/ it’s too dark

Is my granddaughter OK? My grandson? My friend whose husband died?

What does dying feel like?

Do I have an incurable illness?

Do I have enough money for retirement?

Do I have enough yarn for retirement?



Extras when I’m away from home (mostly hotels):


The bed is too soft/the bed is too hard

Could there be bedbugs?

It’s too noisy/too much traffic/ too much ambient light

Is the door really locked?

The heat/ air conditioner keeps turning on and off — and it’s LOUD

Mark isn’t here

It’s too dark to find the bathroom

I can hear everything from the next room

They’re having LOUD sex/wake-up call at 4 a.m./ TV all night

Will I make my flight connection tomorrow?

What WAS in that food anyway?

I can’t wait to get home. What mess will be waiting when I do?



Hey! I was just dreaming. If I was dreaming, then I must have been sleeping. Good to know I got SOME sleep after all that.