Monday, August 20, 2012

Eve, After the Exile, by Stacey Murphy


Now, after the exile from paradise, Eve finds herself sneaking away to write letters to Snake.

She pokes them into bottles to toss into the sea, the air, crevasses, canyons — anywhere she can imagine her words might be borne on wind or water to her friend, who she still believes meant no harm. And even if he did …. well. He was hilarious and relatable, far more entertaining than Adam.

One day, some archaeologists might come across one of the bottles. Bottle #32, let's say, and if they open it, they will find this message:

   It has been a long time without your company and though I am supposed to be ashamed, and hate you, and fear you with a depth so deep that all my daughters will carry my fear in their own bones, I admit I don't feel these things. I cannot stop wondering at the last riddle you started to tell me while Adam was having his snack on that last day. The possibility of that last half-conversation fills my days with something more interesting than hunting, finding water, moving, moving again, and the constant search for something to wear.

   Adam is such a fearful man. He took the almighty's words way more harshly than I, won't even watch me undress at night. I mean, he didn't notice I was naked at all before, except when we touched, but now he only notices for the sake of not noticing. God has let me know, dear friend, that I am in the right on this matter. The shame is all something Adam's taken on, his own construct, his own Hell. I'd gladly give it up and prance around without my fig leaves, again. The great I Am would be fine with it, I know this — but even mentioning it upsets Adam far too much. God is concerned that Adam's insecurities have become far too strong to even feel his light any longer, to even remember who or what he is praying to each night.

   Oh my slithering friend. I wish I could shed skins and magically rejuvenate like you. At least hearing the end of your last riddle would be a nice way to fill an afternoon. So if you ever get this and find a way . . . I would love to hear from you.

   Your pal, Eve