Sunday, April 22, 2012

Missed Connections: Craigslist, by Kathy Schaufler


That’s a lot of yearning, a lot of wishin’ and hopin’
From nothing, everything can just grow out of your head…
Two smiles, and she is calculating the number of bridesmaids.


LouAnn said: I can tell he’s the one. He lives in Indiana and now I’m seeing Indiana license plates all over.

LouAnn said: Okay, this is the one. He’s a cyclist and I’m seeing bikes all over.

LouAnn said: This is the one. He lives in a cabin on a lake in Tully.… but he didn’t. When he wasn’t with her, he was living with another girlfriend in Endicott.

LouAnn said: Okay, really. This is the one. We finish each other’s sentences. Time passes effortlessly when we’re together. He’s given me his dead mother’s necklace. It’s real silver. My kids like him. My dogs like him. But his wife is so possessive, like, she won’t let him leave.

I said: He’s a freelance writer. He’s easy to talk to. He answers all my questions. His stepdad got sick and died last year, so he knows what’s going on with me. He wants to walk with me in my woods. He wants to go out to eat in all the local restaurants.

I said: He has at least three ex-fiancés. He doesn’t really like dogs.

I said: He proposed and they accepted, but then they wised up and left. The one named Velvet even kept the ring.

Then I said: He will like my dogs.

Then I said: He isn’t going to visit. But maybe I’ll visit him.

Then I said: He said he would kick the old dog.

So I said: He wouldn’t really. Look, he wrote a poem about her.

And Joni Mitchell said: When you gonna realize they’re only pretty lies…


And the web said: There’s a point where he has the same response to you that he has to a toaster he has broken.


So I said: Okay, you’re all absolutely right. I’m letting go because it’s the right thing to do.


But my heart said: You were the beautiful, tall, acerbic one. We would have been perfect together.


Then LouAnn said:

That looks like a broken toaster somebody just kicked down the stairs.