Friday, May 18, 2018

More Mother Stories . . . in 6 Parts, by Yvonne Fisher



1.   
I remember a time when I tried to make a reservation at a restaurant and it was full. I told my mother and she said, in her Viennese accent: “Don't worry about it. We'll just go there and they'll find a table for us.” I told her “No, Ma, that's not how it works,”  but she wouldn't take no for an answer. Ever! She wanted to buy airline tickets by going directly to the airport, standing in line, and buying a ticket. I told her “Maaaa, it doesn't work that way.”She said “Never mind. That's what I will do. You'll see.” We always fought about stuff like that.

2.   
My mother always took credit for everything. After she heard me read a story at one of Zee's group readings I asked her how she liked it. She answered me “I always said you were a good writer. Didn't I say that? You never listened to me. I always told you!”

3.   
My mother always claimed that under the surface everybody hates the Jews. She used to say to me “Don't ever marry a man who isn't Jewish because when you have an argument he  will call you a dirty Jew.” I always answered her “Maaaa!”

4.   
My mother always wore bold, flowery, polyester blouses. They were very loud and bright. She took pride in her clothes. How she dressed mattered to her. The other day I was at T. J. Maxx and I bought myself a lovely, silky, light kimono-type jacket with little flowers all over. It's hanging in my closet. I haven't taken the tags off yet. It reminds me of my mother. I'm thinking of returning it.

5.   
When I think about my mother, which is often, I feel a kind of overflow of bittersweet love, mixed with regret and remorse. There are so many things I would like to do over with her. I wish I had been more tolerant and patient with her. She was so impossible, so bossy. She always thought she was right about everything. She always thought she knew better than everyone else and she wouldn't let go. Oh, God! I'm just like her!

6. 
My mother used to say “Dry yourself very well after you bathe or you'll catch a cold.” After a few years I realized that it wasn't true. I wouldn't catch a cold. In fact, it was a bit ridiculous. Maybe it was true in Vienna in the 1920s but not in America in modern times. Still, every day I step out of the shower and I find myself drying myself extra thoroughly, much of the time without thinking. You just never know. My mother taught me well. Thanks, Ma.