Saturday, April 29, 2017

Two Lists and Six Haiku, by Caroline Gates-Lupton

I Miss . . . .

I miss
When ten o'clock was late at night
Star gazing in the hammock
Having no responsibilities
"Ice skating" in rain boots
The cats: Allie, D-Max, Priscilla, and Max
Cousins
Sliding down the space between the wall and my bunk bed
My dad's wild, dream-filled stories
Playing hide-and-seek
Her blonde hair and the way she called me sissy
Being the tallest
When the biggest decision I had to make was whether or not to have mac and cheese for lunch
Making up games that lasted for hours


I Don't Miss . . . .

I don't miss
Being too little
Being called "bossy"
Feeling outcast from my siblings' games
Not being allowed to stay home alone
Puberty
Not knowing how to ride a bike (and earning scraped shins and bruises in the process of learning)
Not having 24/7 access to a kitchen
Being pooped on by a bird
Having almost no independence (and wanting none)
Hanging out with a girl whom I liked, then disliked, then despised
Strangers walking through my yard
Being terrified of the unexplained noises I heard at night
The way the bathroom door stuck
My aunt
Ladybug infestations
Never having enough socks


= = =



brother and sister
mistaken for twins
i'm two years older

mother and daughter
reddish hair
different eyes

father and daughter
i looked like him
when i was born

sister and sister
best friends
we talk (she talks) nonstop

cat and girl
she likes to touch
her head to mine

me then, me now
two steps away
i'll reach back for you