Tuesday, February 21, 2017

A Map for My World, by Sue Norvell




My map will show the edge of a large lake, seen from a very low angle. It will feel endless.

My map will show the snow geese migrating by like swift, shifting clouds.

My map will mark all the places dogs love to roam, racing from one wonderful scent to the next, scattering dandelion seeds in frothy puffs.

My map will have many brooks going through cow pastures dotted with Holsteins. They will wear their austere black and white coats and pretend to be sophisticated, as they chew their cud.

My map will have lines of tiny mushrooms marching along the edge of a downed tree as it crumbles back to the dark soil.

I will have to devise new icons for this map: one for the mooing of cows, another for the chatter of red squirrels, a third for the trudge of feet on the path to the top of the hill.

My map will show laughter coming from houses, back yards, stores and coffee shops. It will show giggles and shouts from children running on playgrounds. They wear red, blue and pink jackets, the fronts flapping open.

This map will also need icons for beauty and joy.