Saturday, October 25, 2014

Yellow, by Stacey Murphy


Yellow, you are all at once

The sunlight on my neck

The joy in my steps on a morning run,

The trees in the distance

The irises promised to me in the spring

My will in each inhaled prayer,

Each exhaled laugh



Yellow, you are

The lioness who kisses my forehead

And watches from behind my eyes at the same time.

The mediation pillow

That absorbs shakiness from my thoughts,

And the warmth in the ground,

Solid under my words

Even as they stammer and falter

On unsteady feet



Yellow, you are

An endless horizon

And on the days I can’t see your possibility,

You are lemon in tea

And a snug blanket

In a room painted in cuddle

So I can see the brighter in tomorrow.





Note: “Cuddle” is the name of the yellow paint I chose for my home office walls