Thursday, October 24, 2013

Song Without Words, by Barbara Cartwright

A musical motif calls to me like a long forgotten lover 
who had his way
then disappeared. 
Such familiar notes. The memory excites.
Until I ache.

I am trapped in a horror movie where they have taken the music away so that 
when the demon killer strikes, I am unprepared.
Alone. A victim. 
Suspended 
in evil silence.
Vulnerable, ungrounded by my treble clef. My bass. My middle C.

I survive.
To lie in bed this very night, listening to that song again and
imagining scenarios with people from my past
who knew me when I couldn’t even dance.
Who knew me when I hadn’t even started becoming who I wanted to be. 
As if I was (even) supposed to know.

My dance teacher says 
that if the leader makes the follower look good, 
they have done their job. 
In real life, by day, I find most leaders to be
in it for themselves.
But in my dream dance, I am all there is. I amaze myself
with my gracefulness and fancy footwork.
I am the light
the sprite
the caterpillar turned moth. 

(You thought I was going to write butterfly, didn’t you!
Don’t look away and try and hide.
I know you did.
But it’s the moth that makes my metaphor sing today
and always.
The way it appears to your naked uninformed eye as a dull grey cloying thing.
A prisoner of light. 
Look more closely though and it is iridescent.
A thousand delicate shades of grey.)

My moth is my untold story. Hidden
to everyone but myself.
Especially at night.

This music I am hearing now
It is our song.