Thursday, June 13, 2013

Notula Nostalgiae, by Weiwei Luo


Once, back when it was socially acceptable to have blue tongues and sticky hands and stuffed animals whose names were derived from the formula of adding a y-suffix to whatever animal they resembled, I wanted to be a microbiologist. Which would remain the only hexasyllabic word in my repertoire for quite some time. I would travel far and wide, searching for rare specimens of bacteria and examining bdelloid rotifers under a microscope. Knowing about an invisible world that actually existed made me feel powerful, until the ghosts of the future chased those dreams back to Neverland. These ghosts became more real.






a note from zee:
It is with great pleasure that I share this piece with you today, in celebration of Weiwei Luo, who is graduating from Ithaca High School this month and will soon be leaving for Princeton University. She and I have written together for many years, in the teen group at the public library and in the word/play group at my studio. She wrote this delightful paragraph many months ago and I've re-read it frequently since then, taking pleasure in her words every time.