Sunday, January 6, 2013

Delightful Things from 2012: a collective list


uni-ball Signo Micro 207, my new favorite pen

hearing my sister's laugh over the phone, from the other side of the country

giving away half the clothes in my closet

re-reading books, fresh the second time around, due to my not-so-sharp memory

morning yoga on Mondays and Fridays, with dear friends and an inspired teacher

crocheting many big beautiful colorful afghan blankets

veggie/fruit smoothies for breakfast each day; no two exactly alike

new hairstyle

discovering my library card is valid until 2050

fishing off the Farmers' Market dock

the Yule Log on channel 501

snow ho ho

Shane turning into a zombie and getting shot in the head by Carl(on the TV show "Walking Dead")

getting married

sitting down to meditate in a field and seeing a dear old auntie as soon as I closed my eyes

handing in my resignation to an astonished boss

scaling a rope wall with 100 other muddy women during an obstacle race to benefit breast cancer research

stopping during a run to splash water on my face in a stream and being greeted by 2 frogs under a rock

my 6-year-old son snuggled on my lap, reading me a book for the first time

listening to one amazing/powerful/funny/sad/magical story after another on the night that the angels visited Zee’s Writing Studio

watching the blue moon rise over the Atlantic Ocean and noticing it was kind of pink

going up a hill to look for a lost hammer, and instead encountering a woodpecker who was . . . hammering

stopping by the hillside yard of my grandmother, completely on a whim, just as a rainbow appeared ahead of a summer shower and reached out in front of my car

making good and unexpected connections with people through cyberspace

successfully defending my doctoral course work

finally getting a breast reduction when absolutely no one in my life supported my decision

any moments without pain

watching from a rooftop garden as the sun set over San Miguel

reading a novel with my dog, Poochini, on my lap

seeing a cross-dressing version of Midsummer Night’s Dream

watching my kids get off the ferry in Provincetown

70-year-old Judy Collins, knocking it out of the park

good literary times with authors Ira Wood and Alice Mattison

walking hand in hand with my 3-year-old granddaughter, to see the chickens at the end of the road, where she did her little chicken dance before we turned back to go home

completing 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles with my 16-year-old granddaughter 

hanging my art show, then standing back and seeing all that I've actually accomplished

writing a truly good sentence

digging in the dirt and finding perfectly round spider eggs, rusted metal bottle caps, and buried nuts the squirrels forgot

waking up and knowing that Barak Obama is still our president

Ray Davies in performance, and Mary Chapin Carpenter, too

standing on the quiet smooth rocks on the coast of Maine, overlooking a vast, busy noisy ocean

the western sky in late afternoon — white clouds turning shades of orange and pink, highlighted by patches of blue

a big dish of black cherry ice cream from Purity

onions frying: a smell that delights me year after year

the arrival of boxes and bags of new plants and shrubs, waiting to be planted

rose-breasted grosbeaks and the indigo bunting pair, arriving five days earlier than usual

a friend from high school, who I hadn't seen in years, knocking at my front door

my husband's presence, almost all the time

Downton Abbey ten-hour marathon

the New York Knicks

mediation for 20 minutes, once

gaining wisdom; gaining humility

a full year of health for my cats

almost winning the lottery (and planning how to spend the money we almost won)

buying all types of stationary supplies: pens, pencils, paper, 3-ring binders, etc.

my mother's new knees

ending a bad marriage, with no regrets 

finding a beautiful home to rent with great light and plenty of space

grateful to be alive after a car accident

getting a great job after not having worked in a dozen years

the birth of a puppy, who will soon come to live with us

making a wonderful new friend

Daiya cheese, a vegan cheese that tastes good

Mapp and Lucia, the funniest BritCom I've ever seen

morning kisses from the dog

realizing I did want to get remarried, and then getting remarried

my son dressing himself in an all-velour outfit

dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt

Leonard Cohen

kale, right from the garden

starting Middle School, making many more friends, and keeping up with my homework

realizing that people are nicer than I sometimes give them credit for

my awesome teachers

the world did not end

seeing the image of the parrot I painted, featured on the PaintedParrot blog

moving into our best home ever

knee replacement a resounding success and my quality of life is vastly improved

knowing that the family is well and settled in their adventures, every one

my cat's incredible dexterity

marzipan

crossing the shaky plank bridge over Lava Canyon near Mount St. Helens; jumping up and down so it jiggled and scared the wits out of my husband

seeing my granddaughter triumph in her first big musical comedy roles

a BLT sandwich in Atlanta

good sex in my 7th decade

monthly folk song swaps at Buffalo Street Books

a red-shouldered hawk flying cross my path, one foot clutching a snake

Harry Potter trivia night at Collegetown Bagels

a crab molting before my eyes, somehow squeezing out through a thin slit in the back of her shell

a dazzling diversity of progressive shows on WRFI Community Radio

colorful fish eating tiny red worms from my fingertips

reading (and finishing) Joyce's Ulysses

a heavenly/tearful experience in the butterfly exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History 

developing and teaching my own college course: "Art of Aging"

the grad student ball 

seeing the movie Harold and Maude for the first time

passing the oral part of my dissertation

a moving tribute to honor those who died when the Titanic sank, 100 years ago

an island of puffins and a flock of elegant flamingos

taking a bath in volcanic waters

witnessing the blooming of the stinky corpse plant, “titan arum,” (a once-every-fifteen-years event)

midnight sun in Iceland

laughing with friends, while riding an elephant

writing my dreams

sleeping on the heated floor of a traditional Korean inn, alone, recovering from illness, and waking each morning to an unknown adventure

taking a longboat ride near a tropical island, against rough seas, and getting completely soaked

stumbling upon a mountainside monastery in Seoul and getting invited to lunch with the monks

a fluffy cat who really, really loves to be petted

baby herons hatching

my daughter and I splashing and paddling through the swim portion of the Cayuga Lake Triathlon

learning that my dear friend's cancer was gone

qi-gong on the beach at sunrise 

standing up for what I truly believed was right 

heating our house with wood for the first time ever and finding warmth never before experienced

dragonflies everywhere: on the side of my house, on the porch railings, on my arm, during one sunny day in autumn

watching my daughter emerge from the water after swimming across Cayuga Lake on a dazzling, blue-sky shining day at "Women Swimmin'" — a hospice benefit

using binoculars to locate my youngest child's mortarboard and funky orange sunglasses at his Ithaca College graduation on my 54th birthday 

hearing a child say "I love school"

acting in a luminous production of Our Town, by Thornton Wilder, after years of yearning to do just that

feeling my mother's spirit near me during a winter spiral ceremony in late December

swimming with a young turtle over the waving sea grass seven feet beneath the surface of Sapphire Bay

the pond surface, covered with frog eggs

celebrating my seventieth birthday with old friends and members of my wide-spread family; and my secret celebration that day, that the biopsy was benign

diving into a new and exciting world of nutrition and mindset, questioning everything I previously thought to be true

writing two articles a month for an online magazine — a dream come true I didn’t even know I was dreaming

reading, reading, reading — did I mention reading?

sitting on the deck, watching somebody else mow the lawn

feeling deep love and gratitude for the person I met 13 years ago

opening a bottle of bubbly after passing my final exam and screaming like crazy

understanding the concept of being connected with everybody on this planet — past, present and future 

playing a euphonium/organ duet with my friend Joan in her living room

realizing that I was still capable of life changing decisions 

learning how to make brioche 

singing in a group for the first time in a long time 

eating Indian food, something I had not done before and had really wanted to try 

the true comfort and joy of living in a place that reflects my values and provides stimulation to learn and grow

watching families of ducks and geese on the inlet throughout the spring

sparkles around the Big Dipper, maybe they were the August shooting stars

seeing my 21-year-old son, Zane, without his hat for the first time in a year

watching the walls go up on our new house

learning lace knitting and creating a beautiful scarf

baby goats; spring peepers; white tail rabbits eating clover at the edge of the garden



THANK YOU to all these delightful contributors:

Anne Killian-Russo
Barbara Kane Lewis
Bridget Alano
Carol Bossard
Charlotte Sweeney
Chris Fontana
Claudia Tracy
Deirdre Silverman
Gary Russo
Gwen Guo
Jackie Mott Brown
Judith Andrew
June Wolfman
Laurie Petersen
Lee Miller
Lourdes Brache
Martha Blue Waters
Mihal Ronen
Nancy Koschmann
Nancy Barno Reynolds
Nina Miller
Padma O'Mara
Pamela Goddard
Paula Peters Marra
Peggy Conolly
Randy Mott Cobb
Sasha Paris
Stacey Murphy
Zee Zahava