Friday, April 20, 2012

I Would Like To Paint, by Natalie Detert


I would like to paint
                the tears clinging to her long dark lashes
                the feminine way she always holds her body
                the carpet of dew left behind in the lifting fog
                the words the cat spoke to me as I stroked his hot fur in a
                bath of sunlight
                the smell of fermenting yeast bubbles, rising from the
                bowl into the kitchen to greet me
                the self-doubt of parenting
                the air she wears in 3-inch heels
                the tendril of her hair, fallen from her haphazard bun to
                the nape of her neck
                the feel of her cheek’s tender, waking skin on my
                parched lips with a good-morning kiss
                the electric currents that flow through the closed circuit
                of hands held in love and desire
                the inner workings of his steel-trap mind
                the questions I never ask, the truths I never speak, and 
the fears I always suppress
                the allure of a majestic tree
                the human heart of darkness in each of us
                the sprout, bursting at the seams of its seed shell
                the chorus of robins that descended into the garden for
an impromptu concert of familiar song by an 
                unknown composer
                the openness of learning
                the disregard of her chocolate-smudged face as she
                savors every lick of the ice cream cone
                the dust in the air of my father’s furniture workshop 
                the sound of church bells competing on Sunday morning
(This piece was inspired by the paintings of Lilla Cabot Perry)